Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Downton Abbey - Highclere Castle

      I know some of you are tired of hearing me talk about the PBS series Downton Abbey but Russ and I are hooked by the British humor, witty dialogue and beautiful setting.  When I found out we were coming to London, I made an effort to find a way to visit the set which is actually Highclere Abbey, 60 miles west of London.
       My first efforts detailed a four hour trip with four different modes of transportation, including a 41 minute walk from the train station.  About midnight last night I took a friend's advice and tried Trip Advisor.  I found two tour companies and after emailing both, decided to go with Brit Movie Tours.  They will deduct the cost of the ticket I have from their tour price AND the tour starts in London!  All great news for me. The bus holds 14 people and takes 8 hours. Should be much easier than my four transfers and 41 minute walk.  Plus, I'm certain they will have the inside scoop.  Reminds me of being in Austria and taking the Sound of Music tour bus to travel to the movie locations.
       For those of you who aren't fans, the series is excellent and draws inspiration from the lives of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon. The book Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle tells the story. The current Countess of Carnarvon, who lives at Highclere, wrote the book. You can check out the official web page at 
 www.highclerecastle.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment