Thursday, August 9, 2012

Royal Mail Extrodianary


Post boxes are probably one of the most recognizable symbols of the UK. They are everywhere, part of the Royal Mail. As a salute to their British Olympic champions, the postal service makes stamps for each gold medalist.  The amazing part is, they are available for sale the DAY after!!! I was so impressed.  They also repaint the mailboxes gold in the home towns of the gold medalists. 


I purchased lots of stamps, including these for Alistair Brownlee, Olympic champion in the triathlon.


When I was at the post office, I met one of the friendliest clerks ever.  She was so proud of the British gold medalists that she showed me ALL of the champions.  I bought some of each stamp, much to the dismay of those in line behind me.  She told me she took the stamps home the night before to cut them apart.  I wonder if anyone would do that in the US?


No comments:

Post a Comment